Chapter Twenty - Full Chapter
THE FIRST SECTION:
That afternoon, Richard was going through schedule of events for Emily’s funeral when Reginald knocked on the door.
“I am terribly sorry to visit you at such a time Richard,” he said upon entering the room. “Would you prefer that I come back some other time?’
“No, not at all,” Richard replied, “this is a good time. Sit down.”
Reginald sat down across from Richard’s desk and set the contracts that Richard had seen the last time Reginald came to see him. Richard picked them up and read them over, trying to find the contractual details that the other ports had agreed to, but there were none beyond a listing of their names. The signatures seem authentic, he thought to himself, and I have heard from Salem and they have confirmed their involvement.
FOR FULL TEXT CLICK READ MORE BELOW
“Where are the details?” Richard asked. “The details you have here do not include prices or any business transactions.”
“That is because each location has its own circumstances,” Reginald replied. “You have a different business climate from Salem, for instance. They are more flexible in that they can sell more goods to Boston. But you must own the warehouses in order for me to buy them. That requires more time. So long as we have a guarantee to cooperate, I am willing to work out the details in private.”
“Hmmm…,” Richard listened to what Reginald was saying. By not displaying his offers outright, he was risking an opportunity to guarantee a constant income spread out among all ports. But by hiding the deals, he was also allowing himself to earn considerably more where he felt he could and save on costs in other areas. A higher investment on his part would almost guarantee a mandatory participation, Richard thought.
“Look,” Reginald continued, “I am willing to pay full market price. I do not expect any deals. But remember, times are slow and our expectation of what full market value is may differ.”
“I understand,” Richard said, “but I think that we should agree in principle to work together and work on the details a little later. I am not in my freshest mind as you can understand. So do we have an agreement, that you will buy and that we can work out the price later on?”
“We do,” Reginald agreed, “and I do understand. You have my word Richard. And I would like to offer you an opportunity to sort things out here as well.”
“What do you mean?” Richard asked, “We have already settled on one opportunity, what else could you want?”
“I know a man,” he started, “from the Boston area who may be able to help you figure out who murdered your daughter.”
“You know someone who can figure it out,” Richard queried, “or do you know a man who knows who did it?”
Reginald turned his tune more apologetic than he had made his intention sound, “I know a man who can help. That is all. I meant no disrespect. He is a good investigator and seems to have a knack for figuring things out.”
“It will give you an opportunity to figure things out too no doubt,” Richard replied.
“I make no apologies for tying up loose ends,” Reginald responded, “but again, I meant no disrespect to you or your daughter.”
“Send him up,” Richard said as he showed Reginald the door. I am not sure who I can trust these days, he thought to himself. By having an outsider come in to investigate the crime, he would certainly gain an advantage over the Montgomery, the Constable and their cronies. It will also provide for an opportunity undercut anyone who feels they have special privileges in this town from taking advantage of their position.
That afternoon, Richard was going through schedule of events for Emily’s funeral when Reginald knocked on the door.
“I am terribly sorry to visit you at such a time Richard,” he said upon entering the room. “Would you prefer that I come back some other time?’
“No, not at all,” Richard replied, “this is a good time. Sit down.”
Reginald sat down across from Richard’s desk and set the contracts that Richard had seen the last time Reginald came to see him. Richard picked them up and read them over, trying to find the contractual details that the other ports had agreed to, but there were none beyond a listing of their names. The signatures seem authentic, he thought to himself, and I have heard from Salem and they have confirmed their involvement.
FOR FULL TEXT CLICK READ MORE BELOW
“Where are the details?” Richard asked. “The details you have here do not include prices or any business transactions.”
“That is because each location has its own circumstances,” Reginald replied. “You have a different business climate from Salem, for instance. They are more flexible in that they can sell more goods to Boston. But you must own the warehouses in order for me to buy them. That requires more time. So long as we have a guarantee to cooperate, I am willing to work out the details in private.”
“Hmmm…,” Richard listened to what Reginald was saying. By not displaying his offers outright, he was risking an opportunity to guarantee a constant income spread out among all ports. But by hiding the deals, he was also allowing himself to earn considerably more where he felt he could and save on costs in other areas. A higher investment on his part would almost guarantee a mandatory participation, Richard thought.
“Look,” Reginald continued, “I am willing to pay full market price. I do not expect any deals. But remember, times are slow and our expectation of what full market value is may differ.”
“I understand,” Richard said, “but I think that we should agree in principle to work together and work on the details a little later. I am not in my freshest mind as you can understand. So do we have an agreement, that you will buy and that we can work out the price later on?”
“We do,” Reginald agreed, “and I do understand. You have my word Richard. And I would like to offer you an opportunity to sort things out here as well.”
“What do you mean?” Richard asked, “We have already settled on one opportunity, what else could you want?”
“I know a man,” he started, “from the Boston area who may be able to help you figure out who murdered your daughter.”
“You know someone who can figure it out,” Richard queried, “or do you know a man who knows who did it?”
Reginald turned his tune more apologetic than he had made his intention sound, “I know a man who can help. That is all. I meant no disrespect. He is a good investigator and seems to have a knack for figuring things out.”
“It will give you an opportunity to figure things out too no doubt,” Richard replied.
“I make no apologies for tying up loose ends,” Reginald responded, “but again, I meant no disrespect to you or your daughter.”
“Send him up,” Richard said as he showed Reginald the door. I am not sure who I can trust these days, he thought to himself. By having an outsider come in to investigate the crime, he would certainly gain an advantage over the Montgomery, the Constable and their cronies. It will also provide for an opportunity undercut anyone who feels they have special privileges in this town from taking advantage of their position.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home