Official NaNoWriMo 2004 Winner! Official NaNoWriMo 2004 Winner! Official NaNoWriMo 2004 Winner! Official NaNoWriMo 2004 Winner!

A Story Called William

This is the story of William, a young boy of seven years old growing up in a world that is confusing and harsh.

Friday, November 05, 2004

Chapter Two - Part Two

THE FIRST PARAGRAPH:

“If you had any faith in human life yourself, you would understand that you could get the people of Marnie to work for you. Most would happily agree to work and send the criminals to jail just for a better life. Think about that before you send your labor away for good.”

Coleman began to reply but at that moment the front door opened and a wonderfully attractive woman, if not in appearance at least in manner, scurried out and down the steps toward the old man.

FOR FULL TEXT CLICK READ MORE BELOW

“Emily my dear, it is so nice to see you today,” Richard said with his spirits returned to normal. Emily threw out her arms and hugged her father smiling from ear to ear. The sight of him made her eyes sparkle and it made Coleman jealous.

“Hello my dear,” Coleman said extending his hand to her only to be rejected by her indifference. He kept his composure and his smile as he lowered his hand and placed it behind his back. He stood almost as though he were a servant at attention, waiting to be directed. But Emily paid no attention to him and focused all of her happiness at the round man. Her arms wrapped around the underside of his shoulders and as her arms stretched to match her hands on the back side, they met a strange package behind her father’s back. Richard chuckled and pulled out a small bouquet of roses he had picked up earlier.

“They are for you my dear. I thought of you and that new dress you wore yesterday when you came to see me. I know that I am a day late on the color, but maybe you will like them anyway.”

“Oh, they are beautiful,” she said, “I shall put them in water right away.” Emily ran excitedly back into the house ahead of the two men.

“You see my son, you still have much to learn. But don’t let the fact that I beat you to the punch discourage you. I am older and wiser and you are simply a young man with money. An intelligent man with money, but young and without experience. Remember not to judge. Now you know that you can be beaten to punch…and not even know it when it happens. Tell Emily that I must go and attend some business. I am sure that you will provide for her well tonight in my absence.” Richard walked off and waved his fingers at the servant for his carriage. Coleman said nothing in return and walked into his home with bewilderment after Richard had departed the estate. It frustrated him that he mistook ignorance for brilliance at the flower shop as it finally dawned on him that it was no mistake Richard called to him when he did.

Emily was sitting in the den when Coleman walked in. A servant had already set the flowers on the piano where Emily could play and look at them at the same time. Coleman stood behind her gazing at the back of her dress, pulled up hair and the tenderness of her exposed neck. A great love filled his heart just by standing near her. He felt as though he was her foundation and protector and that their situations provided a perfect match. For a moment he thought that she should know he intended to buy the flowers himself. But before he could speak he stopped himself. Humility is a good thing if you are not terribly burnt by it, and so he let it go.

After watching and listening to her music for a while, he finally moved toward her. Admiration was a treasure, but touching and talking with her excited him the most. He reached out to touch her shoulder and moved to kiss her on the top of her head when she pretended to be startled by his arrival.

“Oh my goodness,” she gasped startlingly, “I can not believe this headache of mine.” Emily stood up hastily and pounded the keys of the piano. He was forced back when she pushed her bench away from the piano and into his knees. His hands immediately flung out to her sides, as though he were ready to catch her if she fell from her hasty movements.

“But you are not going to leave right at this moment are you?” he asked. “I was hoping we could have dinner this evening with my father.”

“I am sorry but I simply cannot.” Emily looked at the clock and was incredibly dismayed that it read only a quarter to five. If it had been any later then she could have easily gone straight to bed. Elevating her eyes in annoyance, she continued, “I am going to head up to rest for a while. Maybe I will come down after dinner…when you have your tea or drink.”

Emily turned to stare out of the window at the garden below it. Outside were over fifty servants caring for the acres of aligned hedges, flower gardens and the duck pond. All were wet from the afternoon rain but remained steadfast in their work. The stables were also being cleaned out that day, and she watched the horses run in their pen as the stable hands shuffled manure to the garden shack where it would be used as fertilizer.

Coleman continued to step near but each time he stepped near her she either drew away asking for room to breathe or she sidestepped his extended arms. After a few minutes of hopeless dancing Coleman noticed that a servant had entered the room. His father had arrived and was waiting in foyer. He was alone and not with his wife as expected.

Coleman turned to Emily and asked again, “Are you sure you wont join us tonight? We should have a decent dinner, the three of us.”

Emily was relieved that he had conceded to her demands at last, “Coleman, I am sorry, but I believe that I told you no. I must take care of this sickness. It is bothering me too much right now. You can escort me to the stairwell if you like.” Emily threw her arm out for the sake of Coleman’s pride and he accepted it. They walked down the massive marble hallway together, through the ballroom and to the foyer where they met Coleman’s father.

“Good evening my dear,” Edward said extending his hand to Emily who accepted with grace.

“Good evening Mr. Montague, I hope you will pardon my leaving here just now. But I am not well this evening and must retire.”

“So you won’t be joining us again this evening my dear child?” Edward asked and looked puzzlingly at Coleman before focusing back on Emily.

“No sir, not this evening. Maybe another time.” She took her arm from Edward’s and leaned over to kiss him.

“Maybe another time indeed.”

Emily called for one of her servants and walked up the stairs to her room, leaving the two men standing alone.

“A curious wife you have Coleman. Very curious.”

“She is independent. You know how women are these days, and with her background without a mother. Her father raised her to take care of herself.”

“I should say he did. He did a good job under the circumstances of death. A tragedy. Did she have anything decent prepared for us tonight?”

Coleman looked at his father with annoyance and said, “No. We are having beef and vegetables.”

“Oh…beef will be fine. I am in no mood to squabble over dinner tonight.” The two men adjourned to the lower den to wait for dinner.

“Isabelle is not joining us tonight. She is ill. Something seems consistent about that all of a sudden,” Edward said as the two men settled down in their seats.

“She is my mother, father, at least you could call her that. And I hardly think my marriage is similar to yours.”

“Oh yes, sorry. It is a force of habit. I have never likened her to be the mother of anyone. Your mother will not be joining us tonight as she is a bit ill.”

“That’s better, thank you. Is she fine or is it serious?”

“She is fine I believe. The doctor says it is just a slight fever and that she will be fine in the morning. I think it is the wine her family sent over to her a fortnight ago from Spain. It was terribly stale. Almost like vinegar.”

“You never liked mother’s wine. Or any of their agriculture for that matter.”

“Oh but I love putting it on my ships, son,” the elder man said with a chuckle. “And she loves watching it board my ships. Or at least coming off of them here in Charlton. You were a fool to marry for love if that is what you mean by your marriage being different from ours. We all believe that she only married you to secure her father’s future. Maybe as a form of repayment for nurturing her all of these years or maybe out of greed. Who knows? But at least you have married a political tool. She will be useful someday I do believe. You will get what you want from her father. Only time will tell when.” “Let’s go eat,” Edward said as he stood up. “I am ready to talk business over a full stomach.”


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home